Sunday, April 21, 2013

How to Make Easy, Homemade Natural Foundation

I just made my first batch of homemade, natural foundation! Who knew that you could make your own makeup for a fraction of the cost of store-bought? It also  has no questionable ingredients!  As a matter of fact, you could actually eat it! Well, you may not want to eat it, but you WILL smell delicious!




All you need are a few simple, inexpensive ingredients:


arrowroot powder
cocoa
nutmeg
cinnamon

Pour a tablespoon or two into a bowl. Next, add one or more of the other ingredients, depending on the color you'd like. All of them are fairly neutral, and very similar in hue. The cocoa gives a cool, very slight red tint. The cinnamon gives a slight yellow tint. The nutmeg is inbetween those two, with a more neutral tone; however, it is has a more grainy texture. Experiment with how much to add of what to get your desired shade. You may prefer to simply go with the scent you prefer!

 That's it! So easy!





Homemade vs. Mineral Foundation:

Now, you may be asking how this homemade makeup compares to the more expensive natural mineral makeup. Well, it does a fair job of covering and evening out your skin tone, and giving your skin a more matte, smooth  appearance. It is also very soft and comfortable, and does better at absorbing oil.  


The mineral counterpart is superior in regards to coverage, evening out your skin tone, and giving a smoother appearance. The one I love and have been using for three years now, is Ecoglo Minerals. 

I believe that the homemade version is a great affordable alternative for everyday use.  Save your pricier makeup for date night with your hubby. Your edible foundation  will save you money and make you smell absolutely scrumptious!

Linked up at:
Deep Roots at Home
Free Pretty Things for You
Frugally Sustainable
Homestead Blog Hop
Modest Mom
Raising Homemakers
Wise Woman Builds her Home

8 comments:

  1. Okay, now that's pretty cool. I may have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No way! I've got to try this...soon! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just ran out of foundation, and wasn't going to be able to afford to buy more for quite some time--so this came in at the perfect time! I can hardly wait to 'play makeup' when I get home! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried this out, with a couple minor adjustments. Since you rated it as not really providing much coverage I decided to go for more of a bronzer finish. I used tapioca starch, because that's what I had ;). You were definitely right about the reddish tinge from the cocoa. The cinnamon didn't tone that down enough for my coloring so I added a tiny amount of turmeric powder. It adds no scent, just color. It does smell delicious still!! Thanks for the suggestion!! It came out as a lovely warm, finishing powder that looked smooth all day!! For me it is much better than the minerals which can break me out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful to hear, Nanny! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  5. Interesting- thx for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perhaps you could mix in a little coconut oil for a cream foundation. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea. Normally, I put coconut oil on first as a moisturizer, let it soak in for a few minutes, then put on the powdered foundation.

      Delete