Sunday, May 13, 2012

Repurposed Entertainment Center as Shoe Organizer



For years I struggled with what to do with the mess  of strewn shoes inside the front door. Not only was it an eyesore, but it was a hazardous danger zone! For a family of nine, coat closets and small ready-made shoe shelves just did not cut it.

Then we decided to no longer use our entertainment armoire for our TV. ..it was too big and in the way in our family room.  Being the thrifty person that I am, I could not bear the thought of just throwing it out. And  I probably couldn't even give it away, as entertainment centers are becoming obsolete with the advent of flat-screen TV's.  So, I started looking around the house for a new use for the behemoth. 


 
Then, I  thought of our front-door shoe problem! It was  certainly large enough for all our shoes. And better yet, it had doors to hide the unsightly collection! Why not? So, we got shelving to go inside of it, and presto!...We had a perfect storage solution for our shoes!

Not only does it organize our shoes, but it is a perfect "landing station" by the front door. The top shelf is perfect for holding things that need to be returned to the store or library, as well as items that need to be returned to friends.

I know that there will soon be a glut in the garage sale market of old obsolete entertainment centers in need of repurposing, so why not try a front door shoe organizer!


6 comments:

  1. What a great idea, Paula! I love it.

    We have a "shoe chest" by the back door (an old hope chest) where I toss all the stray shoes. We only keep play shoes and snow boots in there, and all the nice shoes stay in the closets. It is rather unruly, but it kind of works! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the hope chest idea, Joy! What matters is what works for your family! We keep our snow boots, and muddy football cleats and gardening shoes in an old bookcase in the garage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea- it hides the unsightly shoes and front-door things and has doors! Wonderful repurposing here. Thank you for linking up and sharing at Workin' It Mondays- such a blessing!

    ~Nicole, Working Kansas Homemaker

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a GREAT idea!!! I love this!!! Way to repurpose!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so creative and useful! I love it! Thank you for sharing it at WJIM.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is BRILLIANT, Paula! We have a ton of shoes at our front door and I so dislike the look of it! I am definitely going to look for one of these at the Goodwill!

    ReplyDelete