Thursday, January 24, 2013

Eat Eggs to Lose Weight!


Did you know that eating eggs for breakfast is a simple, easy way to lose weight and gain more energy? Yes, by making just that one simple change,  you can jump-start your way to fat-loss!



Researchers at the Pennington Biomedical Research Center of the University of Louisiana compared two groups of overweight subjects. One group ate two eggs for breakfast, and the other had a bagel.  Both meals were similar in weight, and had the same number of calories.
 
After eight weeks, the egg group lost 65% more weight, lost 34% more from their waistlines, had a 61% greater reduction in BMI, and reported higher energy levels than their high-carb counterparts!*


Researcher Dr Nikhil Dhurandhar, an obesity expert, said:


"Despite equal energy content and weight, an egg breakfast had a greater satiating effect compared to a bagel breakfast, which translated into a lower energy intake at lunch."


"The resulting decrease in energy consumption lasted for at least 24 hours after the egg breakfast."


To make it even better, total cholesterol, high-density lipoprotein cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein cholesterol and triglycerides, did not differ between the groups! This should help silence those "eggs-are-bad-for-you" naysayers!


This is great news for all of us in the trenches, trying to live a healthy lifestyle and achieve a healthy weight. Just one simple change can result in amazing results!


I have experienced this phenomenon myself, but it is great to have it confirmed by scientific studies! When I eat my spinach omelet for breakfast, the whole day goes so much better, with less cravings and bad choices. When I eat pancakes or toast, however, well, it just seems I am hungry all day, and crave all kinds of sugary, gooey, chocolatey things!



What about you? What has been your experience?

7 comments:

  1. THis is an interesting article. I have just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and I know protein is important in leveling blood sugars but was a tad worried about too many eggs. This was encouraging and tomorrow I'm making a spinach omlete as well! THanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you've got something there! When I used to eat a high carb breakfast, I'd be hungry again by mid-morning. If I eat eggs for breakfast, I'm satisfied past noon.

    Thanks,
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so agree with your post -- I eat two hb eggs a day and they really help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I eat two eggs and a slice of toast for breakfast every morning (simply because lunch at the proper time is extremely inconvenient) and it works wonders! I feel fuller, longer and the nutrients you get as a result are such a great way to start out the day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's those nasty carbs...and they affect me the same way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Paula!

    I clicked over from Domestically Divine Tuesday and didn't realize whose blog I was on until I saw your beautiful, smiling face on the sidebar! :)

    Just thought I'd say Hello! :) I will have to bookmark this so I will remember to come back again soon! :)

    (Confession: I'm supposed to be working on LR taxes, but I'm stalling!! So, you caught me!!)

    blessings,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paula,
    I believe this study and what you have experienced first hand by eating eggs for breakfast. We are big egg-eaters...sounds like we are reptiles or something! when we raised our own hens and ran them totally free-range, we were at our healthiest, so now we look for eggs with the MOST golden yolks. I think they must get bugs and seeds to be that protein-rich, satisfying, and good-for-you!
    I enjoy your blog so much...thanks, friend :)

    ReplyDelete